Sunday, November 4, 2007

My First Oil Painting!

` My World Art instructor, Sandra Lepper, is so awesome! I came to learn about the psychology and sociology of art and she declared me 'born to paint' and gave me some paints and brushes and a little setup in the art studio! Apparently, it's open on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 30-45 minutes of my available time. (I wish it was every day!)
` Therefore, my first painting took two weeks to paint, though the actual painting time was two hours. By last Thursday, it was finally dried (or rather, fully oxidized), so I took it home. Only then did I notice that I had forgotten to make the shadows match.
` So here we have a jug that's lit from a light source somewhere above the handle and a little teapot that's lit more from behind and off to the side. Or maybe, they're on a curved surface?! Personally, I like that explanation better.

` Sandy was really impressed. I think I'll take it back and fix the shadows, though... it only would take a minute of my valuable painting time.

` Anywho, that's my first assignment - broad brushstrokes in black and white. My next three are color paintings of fruit.
` The first one was with palette knives (which is like trying to paint pictures with different colors of cake frosting) and I'm almost finished with the broad brushstroke one. Next will be my 'realistic' one, and when they're all finished, I'll put photos of them up!
` After that, I get to go into self-portraits! Gee, I hope there's enough time in the quarter... I've been working in the art room for increasingly long periods of time, and then get paint all over the piano keys in my music class!

` Next quarter I'm going to take a painting class, that's all I have to say. What will I accomplish there? Perhaps I'll paint my fuzzy aliens - who have increased in size 700%! One thing I was really planning on is making a much better version of the only watercolor I ever did, which was when I was sixteen.
` I was actually working with watercolor pencils, and they were very hard to mix, so my color palette was very limited. As a result, the scene has no depth, and instead of looking like it's during a sunny day, it looks like a cloudy day with bizarre, dull-looking sparkles.
` Then, when I paint that, I'll show you the difference between the two.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It almost looks like a photo, but not.

Unknown said...

Lovely, Ms Quine! Your talent explodes in your painting. Keep it up. OK?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spoony Quine said...

` Thanks, guys! (I hope nobody was injured by the shrapnel...)

Kingcover said...

And this is your very first attempt at painting?! Wow I am most impressed with that. You have a natural talent there Missy. Keep up the good work :-)