Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Unglority of the Urban Alphabet

This is my final project from Thom's Awesome design class, which I actually completed near the end of February. I love Thom so much. I love him with all my heart. And hearing this, he said; "Ugh!" and slowly backed away from my Girl Cooties.
But this project... I hated so much. How can something so evocative of anger and revulsion from me come from such a lovable instructor? It's shocking, I know. And the frustration did not stop with actually getting the damn thing done.

Take a good look at A and B, here....




They're fine, right? And now look at what the printers did to my letter 'B'!


lookwhathappenedtoB It's SQUISHED!!! Somehow, its orientation got rotated! How the hell did they manage that? Fortunately, my other letters managed to escape this fate. That does not mean I still did not have problems with them however. Keep going....

















OH NOOOO!!! My image hosting site has shut down RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY UPLOADING THESE! I am not making this up! I uploaded the first ten images (one page) and... the site just stopped accepting images at that point.

Much later... I finally found a place to upload photos called My Net Images. I can hardly believe how much it sucks, though, because it puts my photos in a random order after I've uploaded them and then I have to remember what I've uploaded (*gasp*! Use my memory? It's unheard of!) and then go hunt the damn thing down.
So I have to make a list and spend a lot of time searching for what I've uploaded just to display the damn things. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as far as what order the images are stored in - not size, not memory, not anything I can see! There doesn't seem to be any way of controlling this, either.

Nevertheless, I used it to upload the rest of them:











This is actually the back of Lou Ryan's truck and the roof of my Wolfsburg back in the driveway at the old apartment:























And that, my friends, is that. I took all those (trying for times when the sky was cloudy) and now there's no more dratted alphabet project to worry about. It took a really long time to find all of them, though.

Even so, the project itself wasn't very good; I only scored a 37 out of 50. Good enough for a B+ in the class, though!

16 comments:

Cara said...

Wow, very clever! :-)

Have you seen a similar project by this guy who takes pictures of the wings of butterflies? He was able to find patterns that showed A to Z, AND 0 to 10.

It was amazing.

x

Cara

Spoony Quine said...

` Sounds cool! No, I have never heard of it, but I may be able to find it on Google....

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sparkle (g)
Long time no blog.
Maybe, just maybe, this blog is more my style.

The 'alphabet' photog is brilliant.

Have you thought about the Russian, alphabet? That might be fun.
Hugs,
WED-NES-DAY

Kingcover said...

Awesome job there buddy! It must have taken quite a while to find all of those. I think I would have struggled to find a few of those letters - Q and R probably.
I really don't understand how he could have marked you down for your project though. I mean you did what you were asked to do. I don't know how you could have improved on the letters .... unless there was some sort of other criteria you had to follow whilst collecting them?

Anonymous said...

Phew! I'm back! (I think there's snow headed your way because there's some up here, just so you're forwarned!)

Your letters are spectacular..... like almost every one is just brilliant! Especially E, K, R and Y, but I like them all! I think G is funny, also.

Did your getting marked down have anything to do with "Girl Cooties"?

Unknown said...

I believe that’s quite a creative project. Great job!

Spoony Quine said...

` Yay! Comments! I'm as happy as a little school girl!

` Wed-nes-day - Hmmm... Russian letters might be interesting... however, I had no interest in doing this project to begin with. Though most students got theirs done in one or two days, mine took two weeks to complete.

` Oh yes, Kingcover/penguin, my presentation was messed up, not even counting the sideways 'B'.
` I put everything together just after I'd moved from my apartment but before I'd picked out all the dog hairs from the carpet, so, let's just say it was... furry.
` And I suck at cutting out rectangles. At least I managed to attach them in a more-or-less straight line.

` Galtron, thanks for the warning. I was not happy when it snowed. The cats didn't enjoy it either because they wanted to go outside and play.
` Eh, it's not about how brilliant I am, it's about how much time I took to do this project. Actually, G is just a towel on the roof much beloved by the Roofcats as a plaything. Weirdos. (Well, you should have seen Devin's project... it was the Sex Toy Alphabet! Yeah!)
` And Galtron, are you aware that your website doesn't exist?

` Thanks, Nick. Hope I don't have to do anything else like it ever again.

Monique said...

Only a B? How mean is that? You deserve much, much more for this. You are GOOD!

I'm going to add you to my links so that I wont forget you and Middle Ditch thirteen is posted if you are still interested in listening to that

lol hug

Spoony Quine said...

` Thanks, Monique! Indeed, I was just in the process of doing that. Good show!

` Indeed, I only got a B+ in the class despite the fact that I nailed almost all of my written questions. My main downfall was my inadequacy with practical applications.
` In other words, I was having some trouble connecting my thoughts with the world around me. (A problem that's steadily diminishing, at least!)
` Most of my projects demonstrated artistic talent but they tended to not illustrate the principles as well as they could have.

` Another reason for this is that my projects took me probably ten hours on average to do and, finally realizing my mistakes in hindsight, I just didn't feel like doing them over.
` The finished product, thus, was generally both well-presented and yet under-dramatic.

` In other words, I was lazy (or unable to cope with a stressful time) and thus deserved a lower grade for not implementing a better way for doing what was required.
` I may have a lot of artistic ability, but I have found that it is woefully inadequate if I really want to become an artist.
` Really, the fact that I don't even seem to understand how to use a ruler to draw in linear perspective (even though I'm fine doing this without one) is quite sobering.

Monique said...

You know yourself very well. I still think you are good. I couldn't do it.

Spoony Quine said...

` Yes... I could have definitely done better because I am that talented. It's the other stuff I have trouble with.

fizzycat said...

I am awarding you an A for your project.
Thanks for the blog comments yes nearly had a bag packed as well alongside shopping! At least now its rarely packed in a plastic bag then handed over to me to empty before filling my own bag. Yes we use plastic bags for cat litter. Cats supervise litter box cleaning and refilling, perhaps they are awarding points. At least the new bags rot down after a bit.

fizzycat said...

I like the letter m best here. At the hotel I worked at one person ( supervisor) sprayed cleaner ( bathcleaner) on to the glasses then wiped them no rinse. The taught way was go into a room place cups into sink. Go make bed . Wash up cups. Many people were not too worried about washing hands after cleaning toilet, done before or after washing cups. Next room mucky hand cups in sink. If you did as I used to do after training, put cups by sink with cleaner in then wash/rinse wash up before doing bathroom it was considered not as good as original training version as "you wash your cups and wash your hands at the same time" urrh!Went for a short hotel holiday last year, great clean room, but just in case I washed out glasses and cups and always will do so in the same situation.

Spoony Quine said...

` Smart thing, Fizzycat, and thank you.

` Indeed, I learned to shut the bathroom door when cleaning the litter box, or otherwise the place would be a mess! Crazy cats!

Monique said...

I had another look and I still think that you deserve better

Spoony Quine said...

` I suppose. The photos themselves were pretty exceptional. But it's not about art, it's about how well-defined the letters are. My crappy rotated 'B' and my 'Z' were among the letters I was marked down for.