Friday, May 4, 2007

Moving on in the 'Twisted' Sketchbook

` No, I haven't been completing posts for my other blogs (or continuing to back them up on my external drive), though finally my brain has screamed at me sufficiently: Sketchbook posts don't require much writing!
` They do require editing (shrinking/visibilifying) images and uploading them, which takes time, but other than that....
` So yes, here's the next page of 'My Twisted Little World', complete with Katie, some guy named Josh from that art class I took at Tri-C, and several forms of Gourdy:

` And for those of you who don't know what a horned melon is, I would describe it as a type of roundish, bright orange cucumber with extremely slimy insides and sharp, treacherous horns on the outside. It's also called a kiwano, and there is a good reason it is popular as a decorative fruit....
` This next spread depicts a time in early August when Phil's cousin came to visit in early July, and they spent some time in the attic playing Magic Cards, turning into creatures, etc. The circular thingy (technical term) is the reflection of the room in the type of lamp that shines light on the ceiling.

` Then one day I drew a picture of Phil and his parents at dinner (one big dysfunctional family), when they were all looking down (as people do when they're eating). As a result, they look rather 'out-of-it', so I'd decided to call them 'The Stoner Family'. Yes, my creativity never ceases to... um... astound me.

` Even their dog, Munchy, is stoned! (He's actually this dog, Hooch.) At the bottom I lamented about my constant empty smiling and wanting to be happy for once in my life, and frustrations with all the prescription medications that only made me worse. What if weed could be made into a safe antidepressant?, I thought.
` Errrr... ah... I don't know what the hell Gourdy's doing there, but I assuredly was not encouraging people to smoke weed. Also, notice the crack bunnies, which one may gather exist in a different world than both Munchy and the oblivious stoner bunnies.
` After that, apparently, poor Munchy took too many mushrooms and turned into a creature called Muncheberus (or 'Munchebrus', whatever...).

` I had trouble with getting the proportions of Hooch's head and body right, so I was constantly having to shrink it, hence the caption, 'Munchy's head is getting smaller, Let's tune into the next caller.' Whatever that means....

` And now I leave you with a teaser; more Gourdy forms, Munchy's new head, and a clue to what the next pages will bring:
` The caption, concerning the fact that I tend to draw live subjects as small as they are in my field of vision, leaving much white space, says: It's come to my attention that this book is too big for me to draw live subjects. So how about dead ones? Okay... how about fictional ones?

` There; that didn't take such a long time to do - less than an hour, in fact! Not bad time for a blog post!
` I'll be back with the next subject, and I promise you it will be highly disturbing, fantastical and... fruity!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I like The Stoner Family! I can see that as being a good sitcom!

Also really like the bottom Munchy--you did really well with the color. Is that pencil or paint?

Spoony Quine said...

` It's both! O_o

Anonymous said...

A freakish hybrid!