Sunday, March 2, 2008

Drawings of dinosaurs - from real life!

` Told you 'next time' would be soon! If you're familiar with my drawings (and only about two people are), you can easily tell whether any one of them - even a simple sketch - was copied from real life rather than one where I wasn't looking at anything.
` And this, my friends, was sketched directly from what I was looking at!
fromreallife Indeed, in the sketchbook, the Suchomimus is actually commenting on this - he was in front of me and that's why he doesn't look cartoony! (They could talk, right?)
` And that's because I was drawing from a painting. Ho ho! I almost got you thinking I was a nutcase, didn't I? Gee, I hope not... anyway, when I'm copying off of anything, my drawings definitely have a different texture than when I was drawing, say, Gourdy as in my last post, or even a dinosaur from my own imagination.
` That's because I'm looking at the drawing instead of seeing something, and my picturing (things in my mind) skills were quite poor. As I would have commented:

albertosaurus Deciding on what something looked like in my head was not an easy task, so it wasn't so clear. (My ability to estimate value was almost worthless without something to work from.) This is what you call 'undeveloped skills'. And so, almost everything I drew was referenced by an actual source.... dinoimagedrawings In fact, you may recognize these images, as I got them from the internet. Real exciting, huh? But here's one that definitely was not....
alittlesculpture It's the head of a sentient little ornithopod! ...I sculpted him myself!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Last night I watched a fascinating story on TV of the discovery of the almost complete carcass of a 7-month-old mammoth in Siberia. They are attempting to find a complete DNA chain within its corpse. Perhaps resurrecting mammoths and even dinosaurs may some day not be limited to science fiction?

Anonymous said...

Mammoths; as far as I know not impossible, but dinosaurs; no chance in hell!
The oldest DNA ever discovered were some scraps about six million years ago. (I think.) That amazed everyone, because usually DNA degrades beyond recognition in a few weeks or something like that. It only survives in very dry / cold conditions that have never changed since it was put there!
But 65 million? Not a chance. Also, you would have to know how a dinosaur egg worked if you were to grow an embryo in it, and then you would have to create that environment in order to do that. Zero percent chance of that working since you have no idea of how to do this.
Even a rat egg won't grow a mouse embryo and vice versa. They are that incompatible.

Oh yeah Spoony, love the dinosaur drawings, especially the Albertasaurus.
Also, I didn't know you could make sculptures that were sentient!

Spoony Quine said...

` Thanks for filling in for me, Dr. Galtron. Sounds suspiciously like something I wrote the other week....

` And yes, my sentient sculptures also wreak havoc on miniature towns and villages across the world every once in a while. That puzzles me.

Kingcover said...

The Albertosaurus Libratus looks as if it has stubbed its big toe on something the way he is holding it up in the air. I hope the little guy isn't in too much pain! :-P

Spoony Quine said...

` So it does! I never noticed that. I'll have to kiss his little giant foot!

Monique said...

Those drawings are beautiful.

Spoony Quine said...

` Thanks! Well, that's the kind of quality you get from 'real' dinosaurs!
` (In fact, I'm planning a post showing the difference between drawing from life and drawing from imagination with brand new ink drawings!)

KB said...

Woohoo! Real dinosars, nicely done.

Spoony Quine said...

` Thanks! Can't go wrong with real dinosaurs!

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Looking forward to your next post